The town of Santa Fe (pop 2,800) is a small village, known for its cooler climate, orchids and coffee. Founded in the 1500s, it is one of the oldest cities in Panama, and is a regional hub for transportation and cultivation sales for indigenous groups from the surrounding hills. Easy access to forest and river provide several outdoor recreation opportunities. The town just has something that makes it feel peaceful, makes you want to put your feet up, sit back, and watch time go by.
Located In and Around Town:
- Mercado de Artesania: Located on Calle al Pantano, has locally made artisan goods at reasonable prices.
- Mercado: Located near the town center, you can buy local fruits and vegetables here.
- Town square: On Sunday, people gather at the town center. Good people watching.
- Iglesia de Santa Fe: Santa Fe’s Church, near the town center
- Orchid House: Located on the Calle al Pantano. A private house, with an owner who will show you around her collection of over 100 orchids, for a small fee.
- Cerro Tute Coffee Factory: Tours can be arranged